Abdi Warsame Isaq
Abdi Warsame Isaq, or more famously known as Colonel Abdi Warsame Isaq, (Somali: Cabdi Warsame Isaaq, Arabic: عبدي ورسمة اساق ) was the chairman of the Southern Somali National Movement (SSNM), a military faction during the Somalia war. It consisted mainly of Biimaal, Surre and other southern Mahad Dir clans.
Abdi Warsame Isaq hailed from the Biimaal clan of the Dir clan family, more importantly from the Gaadsen branch of Biimaal. Formally allied with Aideed, the chairmain of the SSNM, Colonel Abdi Warsame in 1993 broke with General Aideed and took part of the SSNM with him when he aligned himself with Ali Mahdi.
[holding answer 19 January 1993]: The recent meeting of Somali factions in Addis Ababa was arranged by the United Nations. We, the EC, and the United States have consistently supported the United Nations peace initiative in Somalia. The following representatives of Somali factions attend the meeting.
1. 1. Somali Africans Muki Organisation (SAMO) Mr. Mohamed Ramadan Arbow, Chairman
2. 2. Somali Democratic Alliance (SDA) Mr. Mohamed Farah Abudllahi, Chairman
3. 3. Somali Democratic Movement (SDM)1 Mr. Abdi Muse Mayow, Chairman Colonel Mohamed Nur Aliyou, Chairman1
4. 4. Somali National Democratic Union (SNDU) Mr. Ali Ismael Abdi, Chairman
5. 5. Somali National Front (SNF) General Omar Hagi Mohamed Hersi, Chairman
6. 6. Somali National Union (SNU) Dr. Mohamed Ragis Mohamed, Chairman
7. 7. Somali Patriotic Movement (SPM)1 General Aden Abdillahi Noor, Chairman
8. 8. Somali Patriotic Movement (SPM)1 Colonel Ahmed Omar Jess, Chairman
9. 9. Somali Salvation Democratic Front (SSDF) General Mohamed Abshir Musse, Chairman
10. 10. Southern Somali National Movement (SSNM) Colonel Abdi Warsame Isaaq, Chairman
11. 11. United Somali Congress (USC)1 General Mohamed Farah Aidid, Chairman
12. 12. United Somali Congress (USC)1 Mr. Mohamed Qanyare Afrah, Chairman
13. 13. United Somali Front (USF) Mr. Abdurahman Dualeh Ali, Chairman
14. 14. United Somali Party (USP) Mr. Mohamed Abdi Hashi, Chairman
1 The USC, SPM and the SDM were divided into different factions owing different allegiances.
The Biyomal, a small group that lives in the vicinity of Mogadishu, is a subclan of the Dir. According to the Supplement to Information on Country Conditions on Somalia, "The Dir family can be divided into three sections: Issa, Gadabursi, and Biyomal [Biyemal]" (Toronto Front 15 Feb. 1996, 51).
According to The Price of Peace: Somalia and the United Nations 1991-1994, the Biyamal are the majority clan in the Lower Shebelle (Gilkes 1994, 144). Gilkes distinguishes between the northern Dir and the southern Dir and notes that although the Biyamal were known for their struggle against the Italians, as a southern Dir group, they "were previously ignored." (144). Gilkes states that the Dir and particularly the Biyamal, supported the Southern Somali National Movement (SSNM), but adds that the SSNM had split. "Early in 1993 its chairman, Colonel Abdi Warsame, broke with General Aydeed and took part of the SSNM with him when he aligned himself with Ali Mahdi" (147).
Marxuum Col. Cabdi Warsame Isaaq
INAA LILAAHI WA INAA ILEEYHI RAAJICUUN
Waxaa bishan September 10, 2011 ku geeriyooday magaalada London ee dalka Britain Marxuum Col. Cabdi Warsame Isaaq. Marxuum ayaa ahaa nin magac iyo taariikh dheer ku leh dalka Soomaaliya, wuxuuna ka mid ahaa dadkii dhaliyey kacaankii uu hogaaminayey Maxamed Siyaad Barre.
Waxaa geeridiisa la ogeysiinayaa dhammaan eheladiisa meel kasta oo ay joogaan. Waxaanan ilaaheey uga baryeynaa in uu jannadii farduusa ka waraabiyo, dhammaanteyna samir iyo iimaan allaha naga siiyo. AAMIIN…AAMIIN….AAMIIN.